Tips for Success in Your New or First Job
During the summer of 2006, my daughter, Nicole, started her first job. I wrote this letter to her and called it ‘Tips for success in your new or first job’.
- Thank God for you job – daily. (He’s the one who gave you the job and all of your gifts and talents.)
- Pray for your leaders – start today. Pray for God’s blessing in their lives and for favor with them.
- Respect authority and leadership. They will respect you back.
- Do not gossip about anyone under any circumstances – you will earn the trust of people.
- Ask lots of questions – it is ok – they will see your interest.
- Always be willing to learn new things and change old ones.
- Smile and be friendly – be yourself – you make people happy!
- Always be professional, respectful of people, efficient, a hard worker, honest – people will be impressed.
- Customers are always ‘right’ (unless they harass you). You will learn how to deal with all types of people and situations.
- Have FUN learning, with your customers, and with your co-workers.
- Be proud of what you do – no matter what it is – YOU matter to me, to the company, and most importantly, to God.
- Ask God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding – daily.
- Don’t forget your priorities: 1) God 2) your family 3) your job.
While this list was specifically for Nicole, I want to encourage you to take these tips for success in your new or first job to heart. They work for anyone!